CNN TV SCHEDULE ANCHORS & REPORTERS CONTACT US HLN

September 14, 2009

How do you build confidence in others??

Posted: 11:15 AM ET

This week, the final week, in fact, of the Morning Sunshine Contest, we are asking viewers to share their tips for instilling confidence in others.

Today's winner has a great piece of advice! She says:

"I hope to build self confidence in others by always addressing them by name and offer a positive comment on either how they look, how they appear to feel or on something that I know they recently accomplished, whether it's raising a child or planting a flower. By doing this, I also build MY self esteem by feeling happy."

- Sharon E.

Want to play for a chance to win Robin? Share your tips for building confidence and self-esteem in the people around you!

Posted by:
Filed under: Morning Sunshine Contest

Shelly Hotter   September 14th, 2009 11:52 am ET

I have sent a morning email to all of my friends and family every day for the last three years. I 'sing' to them, 'dance' with them, tell them how wonderful they are and how great they look...even though I can't see them! I pass on any information about a good deed that one or more may have done. I share my every inadequacy with them so that they know we are all only human.I want them all to start the day with confidance and humor and in return it makes me feel more confident and secure. We even have a morning 'group hug'!

alexandria lewis   September 14th, 2009 4:34 pm ET

I instill confidence in others such as providing a person with encouraging words and scriputres. Letting him or her know that you are a treasure in the eyes of the Creator and to your family. Being strong inwardly will reflect outwardly in all that you say and do. Most importantly maintain eye contact and a strong posture when meeting or mingling with others. When you smile the whole world smiles with you. One smile can brighten someone's day since it may have been the only good thing to happen to them that day.

gloria owens   September 14th, 2009 6:10 pm ET

I have never done this before!! my daughter and i just had to let you know that we think you are very very beautiful!!! and you do not look your age at all. we watch you all the time and enjoy your show. just had to let you know.even though i am sure that you are told this all the time. but we need to tell you!!!!!

Arwyn Elaine Palmer   September 14th, 2009 10:30 pm ET

I try to share with them that by design they are beautiful and second to none. I also try to inspire them to believe they have a right to be joyful. I tell them what I tell myself and that is "If it is to be it is up to God and me".

Leroy Weekly   September 15th, 2009 7:41 am ET

Always look at the posittiveis in others and commend them for it. Its also imporant that you show coonfident and a joyful attitude in your life.

Frank   September 15th, 2009 9:11 am ET

I am putting ths comment here because I don't know where to put Kanye West comments.

Jay Leno has an opening day show with Kanye scheduled to appear.
Jay Leno show needs viewers as it is big risk for studio.

Kanye West thing was staged to get Leno his first day out of the gate.

Samantha Wood   September 15th, 2009 9:25 am ET

I help people build self confidence by always giving them positive and uplifting advice. For example: No matter what you dream of doing, if you try hard enough, you can do it. Don't worry about what people think of you, you are who you are and that's whats beautiful.

Kaysia Earley   September 15th, 2009 9:35 am ET

I help to build confidence in others by making it a point to make someone smile, weather through a compliment, an unexpected gesture (perhaps holding the elevator button), or simply a sincere smile. After all, smiling is contagious. By doing this, I maintain a positive energy that gives me that extra boost in my busy day.

Kaysia Earley   September 15th, 2009 9:37 am ET

I help to build confidence in others by making it a point to make someone smile, whether through a compliment, an unexpected gesture (perhaps holding the elevator button open), or simply a sincere smile. After all, smiling is contagious. By doing this, I maintain a positive energy that gives me that extra boost in my busy day.

Terry Bean   September 15th, 2009 9:43 am ET

Morning Sunshine contest

I am a 2nd grade teacher in a small rural school.I have taught for over 20 years. My main goal is to DAILY build young children's confidence through kindness, lots of humor, and a true focus on loving those parts of each child that makes them who they really are and fell comfortable being. I get frustrated with my job as most people do from time to time, but what always wakes me up is the constant hugs, love notes, drawings, and great comments I receive from these kids-daily. I am so lucky to have them, they build my confidence daily as well.

P.S. My music teacher in high school had a nickname for me...it was
"Sunshine". So, thank you for your daily greeting.Respectfully, Terry

Jessica Stern   September 15th, 2009 10:04 am ET

Relating to the inspiring confidence question Robin asked:

As a parent, I think one of the best ways to inspire self-confidence in my children is to help them see that they have the power to make choices in their life to determine its outcome. When thrown a curve-ball, will they respond with negativity and a victim mentality, or will they respond with a "I can do it" attitude? A self-confident person is someone who knows that their circumstances don't define them– their choices do!

So when my kids face a problem, I don't always solve it for them. I ask them questions to get them thinking about their choices in the situation, so next time they have the confidence to know what to do.

–Jessica Stern, mom of three (6 yrs, 4yrs, & 1 yr.)

Rita Yanz   September 15th, 2009 12:59 pm ET

I have always tried to build confidence in my daughters by appreciating their efforts in school and encouraging them to improve or continue the great work established, in home chores and how they treat others in their lives. My goal in life is to positively give to others in kind words, small pick-me-up gifts for no reason other than to say "thanks" or "just because" or give a kind ear to listen to problems even if I can not help in any other way. So many times, others have done this for me and I give back when I can and show my gratitude to all who have been there for me in my time of need. Support, kind words, listening, giving time and caring for others is always a great thing which helps build confidence and a higher self-esteem. Thank you.

Roman Joe Stalka   September 15th, 2009 9:56 pm ET

Robin,

A few thoughts on how I inspire self-confidence in others?

First, I treat people the way they want to be treated. There is nothing wrong with the Golden Rule," Treat people the way I want to be treated" But I also practice the Platinum Rule," Treat people the way THEY want to be treated!" The key is to find out how they want to be treated.

Second, I remind people on the good things they do, ten times more then the things they do bad or wrong. I find what they are doing right, and start from there.

Third, I focus on my attitude and keep it positive.

Fourth, I remind them of the quote from Henry Ford, “Whether You Think You Can or Can't, You're Right"

I also read and remind myself of the above rules each and every day. We all need to be inspired to maintain self-confidence. I am only human!

Much Continued Success!

Roman

Colleen Laukka   September 15th, 2009 11:41 pm ET

I have found that when I stopped looking outside myself for confidence and stopped trying to fashion myself after another, and plunged heart first into my soul, I found confidence. I no longer found myself wondering why I wasn’t born with another’s beauty or intelligence because I found mine. It took the strength of a Greek god to untangle myself from the twisted sheets of slumber and awake to my power. Awhile back I was feeling discouraged and kept thinking to myself that I needed encouragement from someone. I began to laugh as I looked at the word en-courage-ment because I saw that the courage that I was seeking could only come from inside me. IN-COURAGE-MENT. I don’t believe we can instill confidence or courage in another; we can only point them to the light within so like a kaleidoscope no matter which way they turn they will be gazing at the beauty and wonder of who they really are.

nisha singh   September 16th, 2009 9:36 am ET

I hope to build self confidence in others by always being respectful of their age, race and colour. I also always genuinely pay compliments and I feel rewarded when they are happy at receiving them.

Linda Thornberg   September 17th, 2009 9:30 am ET

We mentor young or just graduating interns in our recording studio and video production business. We teach them how to do tings that their school doesn't, like going to networking events, telephone etiquette, they "sit in" in real client sessions, learn the typical banter that takes place in a business environment and we make sure they get plenty of physical time on the software they'll be working with in their future jobs.
Linda Thornberg / Creative Web Video

Marion   September 17th, 2009 9:42 am ET

I feel more confident when people around me take the time to acknowledge what I am doing and support me in it.
(GREAT comments really help: good Job, we needed that, we need to clone you, I will wait as long as it takes cause it's your help I need)

If you are the boss, take the time to acknowledge those around you. Remember them when you have the opportunity for BONUS cause money does speak louder than words but not too fast....look for consistency.

Kevin Curtis   September 17th, 2009 9:53 am ET

I hope that I instill confidence in others through my music and live performances. Years ago, I was homeless on the streets of Chicago living in a 1970 Chrysler my dad gave me at age 17. For over 3 months, I ate from cafe' garbage cans. I promised myself that if I got off the streets of Chicago and survived that winter, I would spend the rest of my life performing random acts of kindness for those in need. I found "music" was the best way to do so. I have performed in more than 3000 nursing homes, hospitals, burned centers, special care units and benefits since 1988. I'm thankful for the gifts God has given me & for opening my eyes at a very early age in life to what is really important (helping others) http://www.myspace.com/kevincurtislive

Sharron MacMahon   September 17th, 2009 9:59 am ET

Robin, I think you are so awesome. I LOVE to watch you in the mornings on the morning express, I love your laugh, and your sense of humor, and just the overall way you carry yourself. I had no self-esteem growing up, coming from a broken family, etc... It took me getting out on my own, learning to be independent, and being around positive good people for me to make a change in myself. I worked two jobs for a long time, fixed up my house, and learned a lot of lifes lessons along the way! I still have flaws like we all do, but I feel much better about myself by realizing that it IS okay that you have to think about yourself, too.

jeff williams   September 17th, 2009 10:04 am ET

I have always focuson speaking the positive to people. I take inventory of their Personality and edifity them in these areas. Its easy to tare people down, but to lift someone up, what a joy you recieve and the expression on their faces says it ALL.

Sue   September 17th, 2009 12:38 pm ET

Treating others with the kindness, respect, and caring that allows another to grow in a way that lets them know they are valued regardless if i know them or not. There is much to learn from the negative and the positive. i try to do so with compassion, humor, honesty and sensitivity. Ironically i have a very low self esteem which makes me perservere more in helping others find theirs. All life is precious.

Brenda McClure   September 18th, 2009 7:44 am ET

My advice has always been "never tell a child they are not perfect" and they will grow up with a foundation of confidence.

J Susie B   September 18th, 2009 8:01 am ET

I believe by being myself and postive daily is what brings out that confadence in myself. Also by being very helpful to others and the situation they are climbing will show your strengths and help them. Alot of "Thank You" and making sure others know how much they are needed daliy. When I know Ive done well for someone then it makes me smile and brings the best from myself. I always remember to treat others as I would want to be treated, even they arent the best to me I should always do mybest to make there day complet.

DAVE   September 18th, 2009 8:05 am ET

I try to promote self confidence by simply saying, "YOU ARE BEAUTIFUL, on the INSIDE, and the OUTSIDE." That makes one really think about it. If you cherish the past, adorn the present, and construct for the future....you will get a peace inside of you.
A peace that doesn't mean no noise, trouble, or hard work...but it means to be in the midst of those things and STILL be a calm in your heart. This gets one to believe & FEEL IT, too....that SELF-confidence truly begins from within.

ging   September 18th, 2009 8:33 am ET

Build a confidence in others?anyway im living here in states but my hometown is in philippines.......to see your daily morning news in hln thats what makes me awake and complete my day!i love the way u deliver confidence to people........my husband and i always watch your morning express,to build a confidence each other is the most important dealing people with respect,to make them laugh and friendly whatever race we encountered but to show love and respect is the most things that u can deal on,just to have confident for myself is also how i deal to everybody,share thoughts,stories to make laugh and had sense of humor for talking some things that build up more confidence,just like the way we are also a GOD fearing!

Matthew Harvey   September 18th, 2009 8:36 am ET

Relentless positive support is always a confidence builder. In spite of a person's performance or status in life, where there is genuine positive support, a person becomes more self-confident.

Robin Jones   September 18th, 2009 8:51 am ET

I am 49 years young, been married for 8 years,never finish high school until now,yes I did it,I finish just received my high school general diploma,as my husband kept saying to me its never to late,and he was so right.He gave me confidence,and now I have confidence in myself. Thank you baby love you so much.Now he is planing my prom.Hope this will build confidence in someone else,remember its never to late.

MARILYN POZERO (MOJO)   September 18th, 2009 11:54 am ET

I have worked in nursing over 33 years and have worked as a nurse practitioner in a Veterans Administration Hospital for many of those years. Daily, I work to instill confidence in my patients to be pro-active about their health and not let their disease rule them. Also, my many veteran patients who have fought in the different wars and suffer silently need to have their confidence restored and realize that they fought for a reason and they are our heroes and we thank them every day of our lives for our freedom. I am so honored to care for my veterans and I tell them as often as I can how much I care for what they did to make our lives so much better.

On behalf of: My Husband Michael   September 18th, 2009 3:12 pm ET

My husband has overcome much adversity in his life. Now, he works at a Childrens home with kids who have been abused, abandoned, neglected etc... for him to overcome the same exact obstacles these children have endured, who better than him to help these kids with their self confidence. What he does is that he accents all the positive things they do, no matter how small. He focuses on that and builds on it. Each week he pushes each child to step out of their comfort zone to better themselves and with unconditional love and understanding although not easy... his constant caring for them even they try to become "unlovable" has made a difference. Michael has impacted their lives in such a way that now, we get kids who we have worked with in the past coming back to say thank you for loving me, thank you for pushing me a little further, thank you for letting me feel safe and I know my husband lives what you are looking for which is a person who builds others.

Wayne C.   September 21st, 2009 5:56 pm ET

As a human being, a supervisor at work, a parent to the children or just a friend of others; building confidence or self-esteem in one another is just that. "Learn, respect and be positive of each other." The circle of life.

Julie Bryant   September 23rd, 2009 4:34 pm ET

I experienced becoming a paraplegic at the age of 22 yrs with two children one and five. My family never discussed with me being "handicapped". I, like you, Robin had not choosen this, but had a choice to make. I chose to live! I faced my down falls every day and finally turned them into an "up" in my life. I am now "Handiable". I wrote a book that was released this yr, to help motivate others to grab their lives and learn to face the obstacles before them. When I heard about your book, I thought of mine. Mine is full of anxiety and panic, but I never really saw that. I saw trying to win with a wheelchair. I do videos to promote the book and write to all who send me notes asking for hope and direction. It is funny and sad all in one. I really don't know why I didn't accidentally die trying some of the things I did!! I am a Mental Health Professional with a post masters degree. The feedback on my book has been awesome. In the big world, where you are, many have said "awesome book, I read it all in one sitting". They told me how it lead them to understand and look towards facing their own evils they face. I haven't reach as many as I hope due to being told that it is not about crime, drugs or celeberties. That I find sad, as we all have things that we have to face to learn to live our full life again. I would love to discuss the book with you and also your book, anxiety and panic. Thanks for letting me see mine, in my own book.
http://WWW.GODKNEWILOVEDPIZZA.COM (The meaning for title is within the pages) I am winning life! I want to win Robin!!!

Kathy Schoonveld   September 28th, 2009 6:13 pm ET

Robin i love your HLN news in the morning i don't miss it. You help build my self esteem with your laughs and smiles. The show is not the same when your not there. You light up the room.
I help people with their confidence by telling them don't ever give up. Where there is a will there is a way. You are a very beautiful person inside and things will work out. Your personality is out of this world and you will go a long way.

Kathy S. In Louisiana

Sophia Schessler   September 30th, 2009 1:34 pm ET

I am who I want to be, not what others wish me to be. I do not follow nor do I lag behind. I help all those that I am able to help and in return I ask for nothing. I follow the creed of a great, noble man and although he is not the original author, Nelson Mandela stated all my beleifs in his inaugeration address in the 1990's. It is not all about me, like many of you believe. Yes, I will defend myself, but that is my right. Like you always say Robin: With or Without You. Learn the truth of the largest conspiracy in network radio, facebook and the slandererous lies of the three-legged men. "If all so true, it would not be Top Secret." JKrenn paid out Millions in Blackmail to keep it all Hush-hush. The-big-bad-internet-bully– Run, run for your life.
Sincerely yours Robin, Sophia Schessler

Kevin Curtis   October 3rd, 2009 1:12 am ET

I've found a great way to build confidence in others is to offer free foot massage therapy on the streets to working middle class women! It's worked for me for several years now and I'm starting to see billboards now highlighting womens feet zooming in on the arches! :)

Donald Redwood   October 4th, 2009 6:32 pm ET

Please post and email this to your friends and ask them to do the same. We are asking for a CRIME FREE DAY on Saturday October 24, 2009. We believe that people can make a significant difference if they make the right choices. Some people don’t believe they can live a life free of crime and still have the American dream of “PROSPERITY.” Regardless of your circumstances can we turn one day “A CRIME FREE DAY?” One day might make all the difference for us in the world.

terran   October 5th, 2009 11:48 pm ET

Check out http://www.selfconfidencewearit.com!

The Self Confidence Wear It brand is a
division of The Jordan Allen Company.

The concept originated through the need
for positive messaging among our
community in particularly young women. In partnership with THINK BIG, a Los
Angeles based women's group, SCWI is a concept designed to reflect positive
self-esteem by those who wear it.

Self Confidence can be defined as how secure a person is in their own decisions
and actions.

As a young woman who has overcome struggles in being secure in my decisions, I
am excited to have created an everyday reminder to show my own self-confidence.
I'm surprised when I wear my shirt! I feel different! People comment and it makes
them smile! And then I smile too! My reminder band is noticed everywhere I go!
People are all the time wanting one! Self Confidence is FUN! You gotta' wear it!

Please be patient as we grow. Self Confidence Wear It is just beginning to embark
on a journey of self awareness and self love. We look forward to growing the
brand and offering many more ways to promote your self confidence in the near
future.

Get a shirt! A Pen! A Reminder Band! A Sweatshirt! Take your confidence to a new
level and Wear It!

Руслан Соколов   November 6th, 2009 2:55 pm ET

Интересно. Вообще чтение вашего блога это не просто глупое пролистывание последних новостей или чтениевсякой фигни про то, чем человек сегодня занимался, а нахождение реально интересной информации.

Self esteem lessons   January 15th, 2012 10:46 pm ET

Carry out your kids care for by themselves as outlined by what their age is along with capabilities do you need to improve their self-esteem and persona inside of there are age-appropriate...Self Improvement

About this blog

It's Morning Express like you've never seen it before! Hear from Robin Meade and the rest of the show crew for our thoughts on everything from politics to sports... to those bizarre stories that have us buzzing behind the scenes. Plus, plenty of material you might not see on the air. Don't miss OUR TAKE on what's happening in the world. Then tell us YOURS!

Contributors
Robin Meade
Delivering your dose of morning news, to get you out of bed and off to work.
Robin Meade
Bob Van Dillen
From tracking storms to airport delays, Bob is your weather and travel expert.
Bob Van Dillen
Jennifer Westhoven
Jennifer has the tips you need to take action on stories affecting your wallet.
Jennifer Westhoven