July 27, 2009
Posted: 11:20 AM ET
As Sarah Palin handed over the Alaska governorship this weekend, the wear, tear and resentments of a year on the big stage were evident for the former GOP vice presidential candidate.
Sarah Palin on Sunday says she'll continue to fight 'for what is right, and for truth.'
Her parting words Sunday included a parting shot at the media:
"So how about in honor of the American soldier, you quit making up things. And don't underestimate the wisdom of the people. And one other thing for the media - our new governor has a very nice family, too, so leave his kids alone," she said as she handed off power to Sean Parnell, the lieutenant governor.
Palin's farewell to the governor's office was a three-day rolling picnic, from Wasilla to Anchorage to Fairbanks. Palin, a mother of five, was surrounded by friends and supporters.
We asked Morning Express viewers to weigh in on Palin's resignation, and what they think her future role in politics will be.
What do you think? Share your thoughts in the comments field below.
- Sarah Palin is right and she should move on to bigger and better things. I am a firm supporter of her values and of her mission! ~Randi in Aztec, New Mexico
- Smart? SMART?! Are people really trying to use this word in the same sentence as "Palin"? – JF in Oak Ridge, Tennessee
- If Palin cant finish one term as governor why would anybody elect her for any job?
- Palin started her national exposure looking like an idiot so it is appropriate she do the same now. – Jess in TN
- Sarah Palin's not the first to get bad press and wont be the last! – Stew in Las Vegas, Nevada
- Sarah Palin comparing herself to a US soldier? Another disjointed speech! She is done.
- Palin just wants attention. And she knows all she has to do is open her mouth and it becomes breaking news she is old news.
- Leave the poor woman alone. She was a mother before governor. Any mom wants to protect her children. – Imelda, Mom 2 an Angel
- I think Palin resigning is the best thing to happen to Alaska. We all think of her as a quitter! – Rebecca
- Palin should just stay in Alaska and take care of her kids. The world has heard enough from her.
- She should have finished the job the voters elected her to do. No one likes a quitter! Voters will remember the slap in the face to all "lame ducks" in office.
- Thank God Palin is out of office and I pray she never returns to politics. She managed to sound worse with each speech she gave.
- Keep your eyes on her she may just be the real change we so disperately need. – Jerrie in South Carolina
- Palin made a choice she felt was right for she and her family. Personally, I think you need to see your commitments through. It's time to let this go.
- Everyone I know admitted they never heard of Sara Palin until the elections so no hearts broken that she's gone and soon forgotten. – Lynda in Georgia
- Just leave Palin alone she s trying to get her family out of the spotlight and put her priorities in order (Family first). – Jen in Virginia
- Palin has not made a smart move in her entire life. She is an embarrassment to women everywhere. – Christy in Tennessee
- People talk about Sarah Palin running for President. We deserve someone extraordinary in that chair, and she is not it!
- I think Mrs. Palin is just saying what many Americans would if they had a national platform. We should be able to protect our families just like famous people.
- I say good riddance! It's probably the first smart move she's made. Good luck to her and her fight for truth. – Ciara in New Jersey
- A great % of Americans are not interested in "polished". We want straight answers that PALIN is known for. She'll have my vote for president. – Joann
- Good move for Palin. Was only way she could battle the biased news media that continues to attack her unfairly. – Mark in Tennessee
- Palin should be quiet. Each time she speaks, idiocy spews forth. And my eyes are tired of the involuntary rolling. – Jen in Illinois
- I say congrats to Palin. I think she was treated unfairly in the media and Hollywood. Look at the mistakes others have made yet did not have the ridicule.
- Palin hasn't made a smart move yet! She's so unpolished, so small-time ... this behavior will never win her the ticket. – Suz in Chicago
- Smart move if Palin wants to run for president. It will allow her to stay in the spotlight in the lower 48.
From around the web
It's Morning Express like you've never seen it before! Hear from Robin Meade and the rest of the show crew for our thoughts on everything from politics to sports... to those bizarre stories that have us buzzing behind the scenes. Plus, plenty of material you might not see on the air. Don't miss OUR TAKE on what's happening in the world. Then tell us YOURS!