March 31, 2009
Posted: 06:02 AM ET
President Obama has signed into action a federal excise tax on tobacco products that will raise the per-pack tax on cigarettes from 39 cents to $1.01. The money generated will be used to support health care for low income children. The tax is enough to put a dent in any smoker's wallet.
Smokers: Burned by the excise tax?
Alcohol and cigarettes have long been targeted for "sin taxes," and seen as easy ways to make money for states by tacking on an extra tax to the cost. But what do you think? Is this recent tax hike on cigarettes too much?
We asked Morning Express viewers to text us their thoughts, some of which are included below? What do you think? Tell us in the comments field.
- Smoking is the worst habit. It needs to be taxed highly to get people to quit altogether.
- I do think that smokers are being taxed too much! Although health care for kids is extremely important, it's not fair to tax something so hard to quit.
- Smoking is an addiction. Why should we tax an addiction? It's stupid! Why don't we TREAT the addict? Gene-Georgia
- The government has no business being a moral compass for smokers. This tax is easy money. Not enough people are willing to say enough is enough.
- I think the cigarette tax is great ... if you want to destroy the only US industry not laying people off.
- Tax tobacco and alcohol more I say. Those with vice should pay the price. - Rik
- We smokers are the last legal drug users that are always being punished. We know the health risks, but they are only our risks. My smoking hurts only me.
- If it's to help kids health insurance, they should tax toys not smokes.
- I am glad to know cigarettes are being taxed more. Maybe that will curb kids from starting. Travis Arkansas
- I decided not to have children so, why should I have to pay for the kids insurance just b/c I smoke, isn't that the parents responsibility? - Star of Tennessee
- Smoking kills in excess of 400,000 people every year! Why are we worried about tax on cigarettes when they should be made illegal!!! - Ian
- Why is it always cigarettes that are taxed? Bad food taxes should be raised! That’s what are really hurting America’s children.
- Legalize drugs then tax them like the cigs. Voila! The end of our country’s drug crises!
- I'm a smoker and I will happily pay more for my packs he it helps children.
- I have no problem with higher taxes on legal recreational drugs to expand health care for children. And I smoke. Maybe I'll finally quit. Shaun VA
- This tax that is coming will diffidently get me to quit. - Brandy Garzoria
- Why is it anyone else’s business that smokes? Yes I think the tax is absolutely ridiculous!
From around the web
It's Morning Express like you've never seen it before! Hear from Robin Meade and the rest of the show crew for our thoughts on everything from politics to sports... to those bizarre stories that have us buzzing behind the scenes. Plus, plenty of material you might not see on the air. Don't miss OUR TAKE on what's happening in the world. Then tell us YOURS!