March 24, 2009
Posted: 09:50 AM ET
TV-Web Producer Kate Taylor
Have you ever hit send on an email only to realize moments later that you sent it to the wrong recipient? What about that feeling of terror you get after taking some time to vent about an acquaintance in a text message, then accidentally sending the message to that very person? Or, how about the night you filled up on some liquid courage and then maybe shared a little too much – in writing?
Yep, you just sent that email about your steamy date last night to the entire office.
Well, Google has your back. Gmail is adding a sort of "panic button" to their list of email services. For five seconds after hitting 'send' on an email, you'll have the option of retracting the message.
The Google designer who came up with the idea says that five seconds is generally enough time to save yourself from your most embarrassing email mistakes. Maybe it takes hitting that 'send' button to realize the error of your ways?
Google's new development got us thinking about our own email and text gaffes, and wondering who else has made them. We asked Morning Express viewers to share their most embarrassing email and text message mistakes, and boy, we wouldn’t want to be in some of their shoes!
What about you? Any horrible email blunders? Share them in the comments field below, we dare you! But once you hit submit, there's no turning back …
- I emailed a newly found distant cousin from a discovery on a ancestry site. I told her I was really big on geneology. My spell check changed it to gynecology. Obviously she will remain a distant cousin and must be glad she is on the other side of the family. – Darryl of Lincoln, Rhode Island
- There's one time I sent a text message with the words. "I wanna do you." I was going too fast and accidentally sent it my mother! Boy did she tear me a new one! She's never let me live that one down yet ... – Shawn of Beloit, Wisconsin
- Once sent a text message to one of my buddies about my roommates "awful" eating habits..."He's eating soup...I mean SLURPING soup...dear God Help me NOW!!".
Well – no sooner did I sent it, I noticed my roommates cell buzzed, notifying him he had a message... thinking it was odd, I went to my sent folder.
Sure enough – I sent it to HIM!!! UGH! HAHA! – Scott of Boston, Massachusetts
- I once sent an email to my co-supervisor and boss complaining about one of our workers who'd been skipping her shifts and raving about how we should let her go ... but cc-ed the employee too! Oops. – Brad of Detroit, Michigan
- My daughter was in a storm shelter awaiting a tornado. She called me at work but I could not talk. Later I sent a txt telling her how much I loved her. As it was sending I noticed the txt was sent to my boss in error. He got quite a laugh as he teased me about sexual harrassment! – Vera of Attalla, Alabama
- I was text messaging my husband who was attending training in another state for the US Army. It was a hazy wake up text. The text happened to be of the racy nature. Someone quickly text messaged me back saying he didn't know who I was but he was interested in finding out! Oops! Oh my! – Lacey of Harker Heights, Texas
- I emailed my boss, back in the 90's who was the Asst. Chief of Police at NC State. I ranted and raved and it took four clicks of the mouse before the email finally went through. I was arrested the next day by six police officers for communicating a threat! – Steven of Four Oaks, North Carolina
- I was responding to an unpleasant email, when I decided to re-word my initial message. So I deleted all that I had written. Then I decided it would be best not to respond at all, but I accidentally hit "send" instead of "delete." So I sent a blank email to someone who had offended me. Oops. I actually did this twice to different people. – Paul of Marysville, Washington
- Last month I had been drinking with my best friend and sent a text message to another friend's old number by accident, which had been reassigned. Almost immediately after, I get a call from the new owner of the number, asking me why I texted him and who I was, and all of that mess. It was embarrassing and frightening at the same time! – Zach of Roseburg, Oregon
- Embarrassing email: While at our training center in NC, I was at a week long course whose instructor resembled Eva Longoria. After several close calls during the week, I got some good snapshots of her with my camera phone. I emailed them out that evening to some co-workers, only to find out the next day I had somehow included my boss in the CC section. I'm still trying to live that one down, since my boss and the instructor are close friends:) – Will of Casper, Wyoming
- Text the message "I Love You" meant for wife, and it goes to everyone in office, even the practical jokers who use it as their own joke. – Bob of Collierville, Tennessee
From around the web
It's Morning Express like you've never seen it before! Hear from Robin Meade and the rest of the show crew for our thoughts on everything from politics to sports... to those bizarre stories that have us buzzing behind the scenes. Plus, plenty of material you might not see on the air. Don't miss OUR TAKE on what's happening in the world. Then tell us YOURS!